Thursday, August 2, 2012

Soya Dum Biriyani

Dum is a cooking method that has always sent shivers down me spine!!!
I could think of a zillion things that could go wrong if I tried it and was therefore more than happy with my cooker Biryani's (can you even call them that?).
Then this site happened to me : http://www.fauziaskitchenfun.com
The array of mouthwatreing dishes there had me drooling for at least a couple of hours (how jobless am I @ office, hope non of my colleagues see this :D) 
She had some fantastic recipes for Biryani's here and I just coudnt resist, I just had to try this method now.
I knew I could do it (seems so now) !!!!


This was a ercipe for a keema Biryani, so I have adpapted that to a vegetarian version.
Here's how its done
 
Biryani’s Masala
In a bowl add:
½ tsp. red chili powder
1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp. coriander powder
salt to taste
1 tsp. black jeera/cumin (did not have,so did not use)
1 tsp., 3-4 green cardamoms
1 bay leaf 1
¼ tsp. turmeric powder
¼ tsp. cumin/jeera powder
6-8 black pepper

1/2 a cup of Soya Chunks cooked as per pack instruction,drained and chopped.
1/2 bunch of pudhina leaves - chopped finely
1/2 bunch of spring onions - white and green separately chopped

INSTRUCTIONS
Add enough water to mix well and form a thick paste
Heat about quarter cup of oil (i only used 3 TBSP), add the spring onion whites and saute for 1-3 mins, then add 3 big finely chopped tomatoes chopped and the masala mixed in the bowl. Stir well till oil separates ..Adding some water if needed until the tomatoes are well cooked. Then add 2 fried onion and 1/4 cup curd and mix well …add chopped Soya chunks. Keep adding water a little at a time if needed and mix by moving/swirling the pan, do not dry the gravy , it should be little wet. Before switching off the flame add half the chopped pudhina(mint) and the spring onion greens.
Cover and keep aside.

Make biryani rice as follows:
Wash then soak 3 cups of rice in water for about 20-30 mins.
Soak a few saffron strands in some water and set aside.
Bring a big pot of water to boil, add salt, 4 cardamom pods, 2-3 cinnamon sticks and 2-3 cloves and rest of teh pudhina leaves plus about 2 tbsp. of oil.
Drain the soaked rice and add it to this water when it is boiling. Cook until the rice is about 3/4 done, remove and strain out all the water.
Now layer the rice in a big pot, placing the biryani masala in the between layers of rice then drizzle 2 tbsp. of oil, some soaked saffron water and some orange/yellow color on the rice. Seal the pot and put on dum/steam it on the stove….or bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. Serve!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your inputs are very valuable. Please let me know if you liked my page or have any suggestions for me.
Thanks for stopping by.
Do come again!