Thursday, August 2, 2012

Microwave Carrot Cake

If I said this was the tastiest carrot cake I've ever had, i wouldn't be wrong (not only because this was my first and only ;)) , and that too in the microwave in just 12 minutes!!!! Can you beat that!
I tried this out during the winter when lovely fresh carrots were available.
The oven was a relatively new attachment back then and I did not have much knowledge on how to use it in any other mode ,like the conventional,grill etc.
It was only after the food blogs happened to me that I started to utilize the oven more adequately (which shows in our monthly electricity bills much to S's dismay, but now noone can complain that the oven it just sitting there gathering dust and taking up space :D . I am sure he is eating his words now(literally) :D)

Recipe adapted from Cooks.com
3 eggs  (I used only 2)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves (I did not use this)
2 1/2 c. grated carrots (4-5)
3/4 c. chopped nuts  (I toasted the nuts for about a minute and half ,till they were golder before adding them. Oh BTW i used cashews. Used a mixture of cashews and raisins.)
close up view. you can see the lovely specks of carrot,raisins and nuts
In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Blend in flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves. Fold in carrots and nuts. Pour into 12 cup microwave bundt pan. Microwave high (100%) 12 to 14 minutes, rotating 1/4 turn every four minutes. Rest 10 minutes.Loosen sides and center; invert on serving plate.
I server it as it is without any frosting.
If you live in a country with access to cream cheese you can try the frosting given in the site.

MW Carrot Cake

All in all it was a lovely cake and no-one can tell that it was baked in MW. The texture is just right and its carroty and nutty.
We didn't find the offensive eggy smell either , i think the Cinnamon did the trick, if I had added the cloves as well it would have given it a very nice christmassy feel, like Christmas plum cakes.
This is just PERFECT with a nice hot cup of tea/coffee, curl up on the sofa with a nice book in hand...aaahhh life is good!

Next time will take decent blog worthy pics :).


Notes:
Since Cinnamon is not a commonly used spice in desserts at home so I did not have cinnamon powder handy.
I placed a 1/2" piece cinnamon stick in the blender/mixer jar along with sugar and powdered it.Adjust the cinnamon according to your liking as it has a very strong flavor and can be unpleasant if gone overboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your inputs are very valuable. Please let me know if you liked my page or have any suggestions for me.
Thanks for stopping by.
Do come again!